Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Brokenness

I read this phrase several days ago, and the imagery stays with me.

"got up - made my way to the cliffs to jump headlong into God's presence. there, falling on the Rock below"

Brokenness seems so counter-intuitive to my nature. Fixedness and togetherness seem like more desirable qualities.

Sometimes it has been the circumstances in my life that have left me broken. I am learning that I would rather fall upon the Rock and allow my brokenness to be voluntary.

But what's the point? Why does God want us broken? So he can feel superior? So we will hang our heads in shame?

No, this is the true beauty of brokenness. It is in our recognition of having nothing deserving of His favor that we experience the depth of His love, grace, and mercy.

There is nothing more wonderful than the knowledge that His love for me is not based on my worthiness. It is here that I find rest, approval, and acceptance.

And in bringing Him my brokenness, rather than leaving me in the shame of failure, He lifts me up and calls me His beloved daughter, clothing me in worth and dignity.

How can I help but love Him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

excellent!

Linda said...

l, thanks for the inspiration.

I enjoy meeting other sojourners who are passionately seeking after Him.